Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My driftwood project....








The launch of my latest venture.... driftwood pieces.

I have various pieces of nature carved artworks that I just love!

After collecting a few pieces on my beach walks I took the next step of mounting them.

A local metalworker has made these bases for me out of steel, which I have treated for rust and metal sprayed in black.

Affixing these to the wood was a learning curve!  I decided on a humpback bridge type fitting (not the technical name and screws)

I have found that driftwood does come in various guises.. soft and hard wood.  After trying to screw in screws, bang in tacks and drill unsuccessfully into the back (and bent the drill bit) of hardwood (now I know why it's called hardwood) I finally managed a technique whereby I eventually managed to be able to screw the screws in.

Then lifting up the wood.. it came off the end of the rod on the support.. so now I will attach the bridges with epoxy glue...

I have spray cleaned the wood, sanded it.. and now have linseed oil to finish them with.


How I am going to sell them is an interesting one... think I might approach furniture and decor stores.  But certainly know that they are too large and bulky for anything involving ordering on line and shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment