Friday, April 5, 2013

Concert Going..


We don't get much in the terms of quality entertainers coming to Cairns.. the nearest they get to where I am is Brisbane - About 2,000 kms away!

But we have been privileged recently to have

Jimmy Cliff........

If you don't know who it is you will definitely know the songs.

Many Rivers to Cross
I Can See Clearly Now
You can Get it if you Really Want
The Harder They Come

He is 65 and still bounding over the stage.. almost at one point tripping over the Feedback speakers in front of me and me only cursing that I didn't have my video on my iphone filming it.

I was positioned right at the front, but have to say I was very disappointed with the quality of photo taken in poor light condiions with my iPhone.  The best effort I could come up with was the picture below.

The concert itself was wonderful he exuded music through every pore and in the venue that was a lot of sweaty pores.  With not a fan in the place in the tropical heat and 500 people dancing to the Jamaican reggae beats, we got to feel totally in the tropical groove.. including wiping away the waterfall of sweat drops cascading down my face and trying not to stick to the sweaty person gyrating next to me.




And then followed two weeks later.. Chris Isaaks graced Cairns Convention Centre.

3,000 people with not a spare seat  His classics, Wicked Game, Blue Hotel and a cover of Ring of Fire, it's one thing hearing his amazing voice on radio, but seeing him live really is a total 3D experience.  He is such an endearing man - even encouraging people to come up and take photos of him "better to take photos now, as I won't be looking any better towards the end of the night".

I had taken my Canon 300D SLR camera with me (not trusting that iPhone quality any more).  I had also attached my telephoto lens... which had been fostering some tropical mould on the inside of the glass lens.  Despite keeping it in the freezer it was still prevalent, but luckily on a long zoom, the mould on the inside doesn't notice.. whew.. so this was the first time that I had used it.

Ironically, I managed to get right down to the front and was literally standing at his feet - so close that if I had used my camera it would have only shown a pimple on his nose.  At one point he looked down directly at me and all I could limply say as I felt a bit embarrassed was 'hello'... well what else can one do?

If you are wondering who I am going with.. well Jimmy Cliff was indeed with my imaginary friend.  My friend Clarissa (a girl that I last saw when we were 17 and I found out she lived locally and we have now become firm friends!) found out that it was standing room only and since she had had a recent back operation was unable to make it, so I was able to sell her ticket.

For Chris Isaaks I went with Clarissa and her husband.  Whilst Clarissa and her husband stayed in the seats I was boogying out at Chris's feet.... so it was lovely to go with company..  It's funny that my time in Port Douglas most of my friends have been couples... just call me 'Spare Wheel Pen'.

I was so close that all I could offer up when he looked at me was a weak 'hello'




He went off for a wander among the crowd.  He sat on one lady's lap who whispered in his ear 'your getting heavy'  and she wasn't talking about his type of music!

Even his guitar is named after him!

A mirrored suit.. let's hope he doesn't break it.. 7 years bad luck

His cover of 'Ring of Fire'



No comments:

Post a Comment