Friday, September 27, 2013

I'll never be the Mother of the Bride...

But I can be the Aunt of the Groom

The reason why I headed over to the UK was to be present at the wedding of my Nephew.

As devout Christians people think that Josh at 21 wes a little young for making a long term commitment.  He has known Emily, his wife, since they were 15 and whenever I visited my sister she always was there as another extended member of our family.  So it was not big step for her to be 'official'.

This year has certainly been one for weddings!  My nephew and my good friends Ina and Mark also got married in Australia only 4 weeks later... and I was the celebrant!

We worked out that the last wedding in our side of the family was 15 years ago (My cousin Matt - his second wedding after his first marriage was finished abruptly as he found his 1st wife in bed with another woman and subsequently admitted she was a lesbian!)  There's certainly been a lot of funerals but no weddings.. so a real cause for celebration.

Yep... got another string to my bow - Marriage Celebrant ...eeek!  Bit of a responsibility marrying friends, but in some ways the pressure was off a bit as the comment from Mark on the morning was "even if you do a Rowan Atkinson as in 4 weddings and a funeral, not a problem.. at least we will all laugh!'

When I asked Ina what she wanted me to wear her reply was "anything that doesn't show your puppies".  So I found a particularly high necked black dress that would not give a hint of any cleavage!

So funny I looked very 'official' at the wedding (black dress, sensible heels and hair tied back) and then I got changed into my wedding reception gear for the evening (High fashion platform heels, dress and my usual big hair).

I sat next to the only eligible single guy in the wedding and we got on well, but no sparks.

Ironically he ended up hitting it off in later weeks with a girl I work with.

He said that when Ina and Mark thanked me at the reception for being the Marriage Celebrant at their wedding he looked at me and didn't recognise me!  He didn't think I looked like the same person that took the wedding!

The wedding was very special.  My Brother in law who is a Reverend married them.  My Aunty and Uncle made it over from Switzerland, both my cousins made it and it was lovely to catch up.

My sister has fibro myalgia so energy and being well hasn't been good for her for the last 15 years.  It was even questionable that she could make the wedding for all its entirety.  A hotel room in the reception place was made accessible for her to lie down.

So apart from so many special memories of the day the most poignant was dancing with my sister and niece on the dance floor.  We were both laughing that the last time we both danced together was when we were 14/15 years old at the local public hall disco!  I hope it's not another 36 years till we boogie together!

What a special time.  What wonderful people and family there are in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment