Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Barrier Reef Here We Come





How wonderful Facebook is.

I hear through Facebook that Janina and Charlotte - 2 girls I met 8 years ago in Honduras, that I worked with as diving instructors, are travelling up the coast and will be calling on me in Port Douglas.

I have lived in Australia now for 3 years and despite all the best intentions to go and visit friends it is such a large country and haven't made it...

How funny.. this seems to be the year for catching up with all my friends that have moved to Oz.

Met up with all my friends in Western Australia when I was over there earlier this year which was lovely (one girl also from Honduras that Janina and Charlotte know).

And so now double whammy they are coming to see lil ol' me!

And... yep.. we are all going diving!  My first proper fun dive that I have done without working here!

And a chance to dust down my camera and housing and take some photos.... first time my camera has seen the Coral Sea!



Charlotte and Janina



My photos of The Coral Sea...

















We explored the Daintree Rainforest, swam in the Mossman Gorge River and had a stroll in one of the oldest Rainforests in the world.

We reconnected with fond memories of our little Caribbean island home and our lives there.  Charlotte, I have the impression, with 2 young boys and living with her husband (who she met on the island) is feeling totally cut off from girlfriends and this trip I suspect was more for a complete change of scenery for Charlotte.  I didn't know her so well in Honduras, but she seems more highly strung and anxious than she did in the laid back Carrbbean.  Letting down her 'hair' with the girls I think has given her a fresh lease of life.


Janina, who is German, by nationality is a forceful, forthright, wonderful woman, with a great sense of joie de vivre and is certainly not shy in coming forward.  Her and her husband (who was her student when she dive instructed him on the island) own a kayaking company and have just finished building their own house.

I had a wonderful time with them..

It is so true that no matter how big the time difference if you are friends with someone.. then you are FRIENDS.  Despite 8 years since we last met, we reconnected like it was only yesterday!

Just wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment