Wednesday, September 28, 2011

48 hours and 3 dates later.


So I have embarked on my new mission of internet dating with gusto courtesy of Plenty of Fish (POF) dating site.


My first date was with Mike , moniker of 'crankypants'. Though barely being able to see his photo as he crouched behind two lionesses in his profile photo his wit, scarcasm and sense of humour shone out amongst the other profiles. If only I could have a dollar for every profile saying they want a woman “who likes fun”, “willing to try anything”, “with an open mind”, “no frills excitement” or bottom line “I want a shag without having to pay for it”. So anything with a variance and some intellect is not hard to find.


Mike had a tongue in cheek humour, and we had chatted and texted and he was keen to come up for breakfast. So rather strangely after bidding goodbye to my ‘fun’, ‘no frills’ and naughty Saturday night bit of whoopee. I arrive for breakfast. Rather strange having breakfast with a man that wasn't a romantic development of the night before.


My first impression was, he had lovely eyes.


A charming, fun and interesting breakfast followed by a saunter around the craft market was a lovely way to while away an otherwise stagnant Sunday morning.

With regard to oomph factor I am afraid despite ticking all the right boxes for intellect, fun and humour, I just didn't get any of the blow me socks off and throw me in a haystack type of feeling. We left with a polite kiss on the cheek and him saying that if I was in Cairns on Tuesday then we could meet up. He would have been nice to have hung out with, but then I consider friendships to be organic and naturally progressing.


So I hope we keep in touch and certainly treasure people like him in my life.


And so to Tuesday


With Matt and David… at one point due to complex text messaging and confusion I almost arranged to meet them both at lunch time which could have made an interesting blog post!


So after some palpitations, I met Matt for lunch . Matt came onto POF with no photo, but he liked my profile so I thought I would give him a chance. Despite my protestations he said he liked older women. His email photo sent subsequently showed a not unattractive young man with fine features.


Meeting him he looked like his photo, with his clear blue eyes, until he smiled portraying some complex dentistry and braces. His age of 33 looked more like 25. Then it struck me, do older women lie and take off years and do young men add years.


Whatever the outcome I sat there, thinking how much we must have looked to onlookers like Mother and Son! Likewise there’s me thinking, ‘what a lovely boy’, very courteous and well mannered, and with two houses and a prestige car to boot. Certainly a good catch with a gold seal of approval for any prospective inlaws and girlfriend.


He was quite vocal in wanting to see me again (good for my ego) but for me it would have felt more like incest. All I wanted to do was to take him under my wing (or my dinner lady flabby arms), so I don’t think this is heading anywhere.


Next date was set by David at 5.00 pm in the RSL club.


That’s Australian speak for cheap beers. So no mention of going anywhere for food, and since I was driving the cheap drinks were rather lost on me. So not so well planned me thinks.


I had just walked in the entrance when I spotted him from 100 feet away. David I had initiated contact with on POF because admittedly his rippling body, blue eyed, tanned look and windblown cragginess of a life spent on a boat or surfboard appealed to me. The typical Australian look (and we’re not talking koala!). Spending 4 years on a dive boat as a chef, meant that two of my main loves were met – diving and good food!



His profile was down to earth and honest, with emphasis on being able to have a laugh and enjoy the basic things in life.


Before long we were both having belly laughs together and I would say that that went well.


Though I have to admit through almost passing out from sucking in my stomach, trying to sit upright to pull in my tummy. My washboard stomach was more like a bloated washing machine. Though certainly had the belly for the laughs!


His main loves are his two boys, the gym and diving. On talking about his two young boys his face lit up and he became animated.


I don’t see myself involved with David, unless on a purely booty call type of basis. I did test him when I left by saying that I was worried about staying too late as it was a long drive back in the dark and I get narcolepsy. He didn’t respond with ‘well, I hope you get back safely” or “call me when you get back just to let me know you got back safely’. Only reply was for him to say that he was staying for a few more beers.


We had a goodbye cursory hug and kiss on cheek. I did text that I had arrived back safely and thanks for the evening, but no reply.. .. so I can hear the empty echo of no reply responding back!


So it is 3 dates down 6 to go and all the frantic texting of before has resulted in a dead blank phone.... with the faint rustle of the passing tumbleweed.


I don’t know if I can maintain my first level of enthusiasm. Only one that I am keen on is Natt – but he lives about 1500 km’s away, but we might meet up in Brisbane.


So at present no more dates planned…but well, one never knows - the optimist says the glass is half full, the realist says it's half full of urine!

1 comment:

  1. P, what is this Antipodean saying about half full of urine, not very Penelope Pitstop.
    A story for you, an aquaintance said that her friend had been on so many internet dates and couldnt believe the drivvel coming from the blokes that she wrote a book called put ducktape over it. Mouth, before you ask. She got a publishing deal for 90000

    ReplyDelete