Friday, April 20, 2012

The next step?

One week gone by.. so what have I done..

Sent off a few c.v's to some pretty mundane Admin work

Developed 3 product offerings for my new Nature Says No range, raised barcodes, developed and in process of testing formulas. Set up ABN number, just got to register the company. My insect repellent is being tested by friends, one of which owns a kayaking company in Agnes water where sand flies are so thick there's more flies than air. Her comments look like my formula is going to give DEET a run for its money..

"tested no 1 today while out gardening and while simon had nothing on and got eaten alive, i was fine! not one bite:) smells nice too:)
will test no 2 this arvo while drinking cider on the deck. should be hash testing conditions. sandflies galore atm."

Just felt sorry for her husband Simon... and hope he didn't get bitten in too many comprimising places!

Found a training course for dump truck driving.. yep.. you read right. Mining companies are crying out for women dump truck drivers on the mines here. They prefer women as they have less egos and are much more careful drivers... there that's an admission. That will show those men ! With a salary of around $100k and sometimes 2 weeks on 2 weeks off rosta I am liking the idea of earning money, and some time off in between.

The trouble is that living up here we are not talking the centre of commerce where all the movers and shakers hang out. Most businesses are in mining, construction or tourism. Women work in beauty, shops, tourism, admin. Men work in tourism, construction or on the mines.

I am a bit loathe to get back into diving but might consider working on a liveaboard, but I am still waiting for that ethereal reference from my last company. It's a small world here and the diving community is small, so a reference from my previous employers, which is the biggest operator in the area would be good. Without it, there is going to be that big question mark as to why I left and the reasons behind it.

Other ideas... Thai massage course in Thailand, Animal husbandry course, Customs dog handler...

I am also planning to progress my Marriage celebrant studying.. I am halfway there and submitted 25 of the 50 assignments, so slowly slowly on that one.

So many ideas.... so wonder where it will lead me..............

Ironically I have spent most of yesterday and today helping a friend who worked where I worked.. who was given the sack yesterday. She was accused of using her mobile phone whilst on lifeguard duty. This was by a letter sent by a 20 year old to the 'powers to be' that has been with the company for 2 months and turns up every morning with a hangover. She has been there 2 years. So on the strength of a particularly ropey letter (what 20 year old takes the trouble to write a letter.. which was unsigned!), she was sacked. Her phone records show that no texts or phone calls were made and amazingly there is no telephone reception on the Barrier Reef. So I've been helping her through unfair dismissal advice as she was totally stunned by this sudden turn of events.

Aaah isn't working life wonderful! Must admit I don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment