Thursday, October 20, 2011

Guess who I had to get rescued today!

Paul Robinson
Is Erinsborough’s ultimate bad boy mellowing with age or should the sleepy suburb brace itself for another outrageous onslaught from original resident Paul Robinson - or will he even make it back after getting lost at sea whilst diving in the Barrier Reef?




Yes dived with Stefan today - better known as Paul Robinson from Neighbours!


Also it was my first training dive at work. So I go out with the supervisor and my two divers to navigate the dive site. Her words to me were ' I will be there and you won't know until you go wrong and I will redirect you'. So what does she do... pisses off after 15mins, without telling me.

So there's me thinking something not right after 30 mins.. so up I go to do the turtle navigation. How far away was the pontoon?.. A bit of a squint and you could see it! Whoops.. no chance of any surface swims and I have a diver on 50bar so no underwater dives either.

By the time I had found my safety sausage (big flourescent orange inflatable 5 ft long sausage) the rescue boat had arrived (small 8 ft rib).

We got into the boat, Rick the other diver was fretting a bit, so everything was good. The outboard of the small boat with 3 divers + 2 rescue staff then decided not to start.

By this time the boat was filled with water - the only thing keeping us afloat was the rib inflatable sides. Otherwise the inside of the boat was the same water level as the outside.

Flashing through my mind was an image of us all getting our fins and dive gear back on and pushing the boat back!

Luckily the motor starts up and we get back to the pontoon.

All of this taken action was taken by Rick's high tech forehead video camera - that runs up to 2 hours at a time.

I was able to see the whole awful ending replayed and replayed throughout the 1 hour return journey. I think it made Rick's vacation (he was from the States) and Stefan being an actor will certainly no doubt add his dramatic turns to this story!






No comments:

Post a Comment