Friday, December 9, 2011

Renting out my spare bedroom.....

I have been renting out my spare room here in Port Douglas via a couch surfing/spare room website.

It has been an interesting exercise.

Made around $600 one month - renting out my spare room at $55 a night!

The first guy who stayed was Karl - a gay guy from Germany. We got on very well and we even took each other out to dinner - had my first eating out experience at Salsa Restaurant here.

Followed by the Finnish couple .. who overtook the whole house. Proceeded to use my brand new stove top and burnt a dark brown ring round it (which retrospectively I think is more of a bad designed hob than their actions). Stocked the fridge with food and cooked all meals here - I ended up hiding in my room! So that wasn't such a success.

Then Peter, another Finnish guy. His friends were running the marathon so he was spending time with them up here. I hardly ever saw him. He went out on Thursday night my famous last words 'nothing much happens in Port Douglas on a Thursday night". Next day he told me that it had all been going off in Port Douglas - violence, drinking, police. He and his friends had discovered a badly beaten up man on the pavement. Even now the police are still trying to piece together what happened to him. Unfortunately, Damian Smith had to have his life support turned off recently, so very tragic.

Karen then stayed - she was here seeing a friend who lives here. We had lovely chats and I took them out to see Gary the Grouper feeding (which was about exciting as seeing the proverbial paint dry)... a little glimpse of Gary's fin. Me trying not to look too hard at the poor marlin's head that they kept dipping in and out of the water to entice Gary with. Karen was so 'excited' that her yawn could have accommodated a dining table and chairs! So that was the most non event on the tourist 'must see' list. We had a good laugh about that. Found out today that she has been listed in the Top 100 People in Melbourne's The Age magazine!

Just booked a couple for January... so will see what that will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment