Monday, January 23, 2012

Just received an email from my Godmother who visited my Father, expressing concern for my Father's state.

My Father has Parkinson's and at age 77 had to be admitted to a care home to cater for his needs after my Mother died (3 years ago). His intelligence is fine (and as a scientist he has a keen brain and intellect) but his logical and common sense aspect is not so in tune sometimes.

In her visit my Father was talking about his will and when my Godmother left, he said he was unsure when they would meet again.

Advanced stages of Parkinson are not good. My Godmother has said that him sitting there thinking of where this disease will end is a grim reality for him of things to come....

The following I found on the internet:

Dying from Parkinson's

Dying from Parkinson's is not linear or mechanical. It has multiple pathways.

  • The mind can go to the point where the body becomes deregulated.
  • The body can go to the point where one is no longer strong enough to breathe and suffocates.
  • Other body systems can weaken and fail, together or in sequence.
  • Some people just sleep longer and longer and finally do not wake up.
  • Some lose the desire to eat and eventually just fade away from not eating.
All of these pathways are active at the same time and act at different rates for different people, sometimes getting worse and sometimes getting better. I've known a number of people with the disease, each has had different pathways take them to the end. A friend's father, who died recently had a particularly difficult death.


We all have to go through the death of parents.. that's a fact of life that isn't touched on when one is younger.

Being here in Australia there is guilt for being so far away and with a sister who is also not well (she has fybromyalgia) - I am the only family member left who is healthy.

I have managed to spend time with my Father every year, 3 months in 2010 and 2 weeks in 2011, but I know it is no replacement for being there.

It has also made me realise that having no children of my own or husband, that when I meet my dotage having people around that care will be a privilege rather than a matter of course.

What I am pleased to see is that the staff at the care home where Dad is seem to genuinely like him - and through the stammering words and shakiness they can see his true humour and intellect shine like a rainbow through the drops of rain.

Poor Dad.. my heart goes out to him..

No comments:

Post a Comment