Monday, November 5, 2012

Romance in the Rainforest


A magical weekend with Fred…

Out of the blue I receive a phone call from Fred (see previous blog) who has hitched from his hippy colony from Cape York and managed a lift to Cairns.  There was I in Port Douglas.. he must have whizzed by at the top of the road only 5 minutes away.. but I wanted to see him so took the indulgence of offering to pick him up and execute a 2 hour round trip to spend some time with me in Port Douglas.

It was lovely to see him again, and rather awkwardly I arrive back at the house which I has renters in the bottom bedroom…  I had bought some food for dinner.. imagining a romantic dinner for two.. but got back to find the renters from downstairs had taken over the kitchen.. and then when they finished proceeded to eat their meal upstairs at the table.  So rather a question of cramping my style… but they were a lovely couple, in their mid twenties and Fred wasn’t perturbed and we had a chat with them so all was good.

We had some wine that night and sat outside in the tropical air on the balcony chatting and listening to some music… with a phone call at 11.00 from the people downstairs asking for us to be quiet as they were getting up the next morning early. 

I usually don’t entertain if I have people renting downstairs as the sitting room and balcony is directly above their bedroom and the insulation is non existence so any sound carries.  The music wasn’t loud, but at least the bedroom upstairs is at the back and away from them.  So Fred and went to bed.  Oooooeeeer!!!

Was so lovely to see him again and yes, just as wonderful as the first time round.

The next morning we decided to go to the Rainforest and see the Blue Hole.. a sacred aboriginal place where the women used to give birth. 

It really is a blue lagoon illuminated by the sun through the clearing of the rainforest as the foliage drapes languorously like a leaf strewn roof.  Being that it was a local place that only locals knew there weren’t any people, so we entered the brazing water without any clothes......  I felt like I had just entered one of those idyllic paradise scenes that are used to advertise bath products or chocolate bars.

How magical it was with fish swimming around us in the crystalline blue water, turtles sunbathing on the tree trunks all accompanied by the sound of the jungle as a audio backdrop.

Yep.. I had definitely gone to heaven and hoped that the moment would never finish, so wonderful to feel a bit of romance in what has to be paradise on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment